As the official best-priced bookmaker for Premier League football betting, it's little wonder that BetVictor continues to thrive courtesy of an active customer base numbering more than half a million.
But the origins of the company are rather more modest: William Chandler, Victor's grandfather, founding the brand as a solitary high street betting shop way back in 1946.
After proving itself as a bricks-and-mortar bookie to be reckoned with, BetVictor is widely regarded as one of the first sportsbooks to truly appreciate the power of online betting. In 2012, the Victor Chandler name was replaced by BetVictor for marketing reasons; and they haven't looked back since.
Today BetVictor is one of the very best bookmakers on the planet, particularly for football punters, and offers some of the most generous prices and in-depth markets around. Operating across 160 different countries, the company turns over in excess of £1 billion each year; testament to its innovation and continued good service.
Betting Offers & Promotions
There's nothing quite like a good Welcome Offer to whet the appetites of new punters, and if you bet smart this is a fantastic way to build an early bankroll to take forward. BetVictor's offers and promotions focus on quality over quantity.
The Sign-Up Bonus
Well, what a welcome BetVictor offers to new players! Simply deposit and bet £10 and they will hand a £40 in a combination of free bets and casino bonuses (£30 in sports bonuses given as three £10 free bets and a £10 casino bonus).
The terms of the offer are fairly standard: once you have opted in to the bonus, you will have seven days from the point you activate your account to placing your eligible bet, which must contain at least one selection of Evens or greater (singles or multiples accepted).
Punters then have 30 days to use their bonus funds, and these can be applied to any sport, any event, any price, in one single denomination or in a series of smaller bets.
Important note: customers who deposit using Skrill or Neteller are exempt from the Welcome Bonus.
The lure of a good promotion cannot be ignored - especially those that are long term' and ongoing, rather than a quick flash in the pan. Happily, BetVictor offers a number of promos designed to help punters make the most of their cash:
- Football Acca Price Promise - you don't see many bookmakers offering this kind of promotion. Basically, if your five-fold acca can be placed at better accumulative odds elsewhere, BetVictor will refund the difference.
- Acca Insurance - you know the drill here: place a five-fold accumulator, and if one selection lets you down your stake will be refunded as a free bet. This is applicable to the football markets Win/Draw/Win and Both Teams to Score.
- Best Odds Guaranteed - it's hugely frustrating when you pick out a horse at Price A, it wins and you realise it has set off at a better Price B. With BetVictor this can be a thing of the past with Best Odds Guaranteed, which ensures you are paid out at the best price whether that's ante-post or the SP.
Odds & Markets
We can't begin any discussion of the odds offered by BetVictor without reminding punters that, for the past five years, they have offered better prices than any other bookmaker concerning the Premier League; a claim verified by Oddschecker. That cannot be ignored.
So yes, BetVictor are generally the best price when it comes to domestic football and that was verified by our research: they were the best price for the draw and the away team in our sample fixture, and a fraction behind for the home side: 29/20 against best odds of 6/4.
That was of course in the Winner market, but their generous pricing continues to other areas too. In the First Goalscorer bracket they were best priced for two of the top ten players in the betting, and for three of the top ten in the Anytime Goalscorer market. Incredibly, they were best price outright for 19 of the top 30 options available on the Correct Score coupon too. They were adrift of their rivals in the Handicaps markets though, so it really does depend where you like to invest your funds as to whether BetVictor is the bookie for you.
So that's football covered....but do they offer equally good prices for other sports? We picked a horse race from York at random which featured 12 runners. Victor was equal best priced for three of them and outright best for one, and crucially these were horses towards the head of the market; perfect for enabling your kitty to stretch further.
As part of these reviews we have been using the French Open tennis tournament, which is just around the corner at the time of writing, as a guide to see how each bookmaker prices up their ante-post outright markets. Unfortunately, BetVictor is the only mainstream UK bookie not to have published their prices yet, which is a pretty damning indictment.
Instead, we've used The Open golf tournament as our data set, and it's clear that this is not a market that the brand values. After scrolling down the list of players, it took us until Zach Johnson at 66/1 before Victor was equal best price for a selection; that was 23 players down the list. Of the top 30 players in the betting, BetVictor was best price for just two in total.
Let's end on a positive note though by identifying the comprehensive nature of the markets covered by the company. Most football matches in the upper tiers of English football have 100+ markets available, with all of the traditional favourites joined by some unique touches including Scorecast, Wincast, Method of Goal (picking whether a player will score with their right foot, left, with a header or from outside the box) and Spincast: match winner, total goals and anytime goalscorer combinations.
The BetVictor website has had something of a facelift in recent times, and that puts it up there with the elite bookmakers in terms of visual appeal online.
The aesthetics have been improved but so too has the navigation, with the headings at the top of the screen facilitating a smarter user-journey. Whichever sport you prefer, you can now find it with ease.
The layout of the BetVictor site is essentially the same as that you would find elsewhere. Split into thirds, the left-hand side offers popular bets and links to the brand's A-Z of sports, the middle third is a more pictorial representation of the 'pick of the bets', while the right hand-side includes your betslip plus a few other bits and pieces regarding promotions. That's the standard format these days, it seems.
All of the above is complimented with a sturdy mobile presence, and if you tap betvictor.com into your device's browser you will be delighted with what you see/feel. It runs super-smooth - a key consideration for any mobile site - and there's a nice spacing to each page; the importance of which should not be overlooked.
The app integrates the sports betting module with the online casino, and utilises a single wallet system so that you can enjoy both with the minimum of fuss. It makes the most of the layout/design elements used in the main website and mobile version, so you will have that familiarity which is always a huge bonus.
We expect all online bookmakers to offer a raft of features these days, and most deliver on that front. BetVictor is no exception, and so upon signing up you will feel that you have all of the tools at your disposal to enjoy a first-class betting experience.
- In-Play Betting - So many in-play options await you at BetVictor. Even on a quiet Monday afternoon (at the time of writing) we could have wagered on 23 football matches, 26 tennis contests, two cricket games, one basketball encounter and even one pulsating bowls clash. There was even a raft of virtual sports to take a look at.
- Live Streaming - While not the most comprehensive live offering, via BetVictor punters can enjoy streaming of all UK & Ireland horse racing upon which they have wagered a minimum of £1. A large number of these meetings are not broadcast on terrestrial TV, which is a real bonus.
- Virtual Sports - There's nothing more frustrating than when there's no decent sports action on when you want to place a bet. Well, BetVictor's virtual sports channel puts an end to such woe by creating hundreds of events each day to be wagered upon. This is completely fair and unbiased, so it is like betting on the big match but whenever the mood takes you!
- Cash Out - Both traditional and partial Cash Out are on offer here, so you can settle your bets before the event is over or take some of your profit with you and leave the rest to run its course. All of the major football and tennis markets are applicable.
- Bet Boosts - There's no punter on the planet who doesn't love a good old price enhancement, and BetVictor has a whole area of their site dedicated to them. Bet Boosts cover all of the major sporting events and are changed daily to enable the very best value punting around.
- Goals Feed - There's nothing more annoying than trying to follow all of your bets' progress in one place, and this is where the Goals Feed from BetVictor comes in so handy. You can check the scores and results from across the world of football, horse racing, tennis and golf to see if your selections are doing the business.
Banking, Payouts & Limits
The money side of sports betting should be a doddle, with a multitude of ways to deposit/withdraw, on a safe platform, the absolute minimum requirement. Additionally, an ability to be how much you want, on what you want, is also clearly a very attractive feature. BetVictor tick many of these boxes, and with some pretty generous maximum payout limits in place high rollers won't feel any unnecessary disgruntlement.
Options, options, options....that's what you should expect from BetVictor and it's what they deliver. You'll find all of the major credit and debit cards accepted here, plus many of the most popular e-wallet systems to boot, such as PayPal, Skrill and Neteller. There is even the option to perform bank transfers for UK punters too.
The minimum deposit amount that BetVictor will accept from players is £5, which is generally the industry standard or even below given that most online bookies require a minimum of a tenner.
Punters can wager as little as £0.05p for each selection with BetVictor, helping you to manage your budget more effectively.
As is common, BetVictor haven't put in place maximum bet amounts that they will accept. Happy days. However, all punters are subject to the daily payout limits listed below, which in their own way act as a maximum wager.
There are a whole host of tiers and categories relating to payout limits at BetVictor, and for a more in-depth look at these you are encouraged to visit for more information.
But as a general overview, punters can scoop up to £500,000 per day on UK & Ireland horse racing, half a million on major European football (international and domestic) and £100,000 for a variety of other sports/events. As we say, visit the link above for the complete lowdown.
The origins of BetVictor as we know it came nearly a century ago when William Chandler opened Walthamstow Greyhound Stadium for the first time. It was his grandson, Victor, who recognised the opportunities available in the world of betting when the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act of 1963 legalised bookmaking shops.
That innovative approach continued throughout the next few decades, with the Victor Chandler brand the first to accept wagers from international punters sometime in the 90s. He created an Antiguan base to get around UK tax laws, and this was the first instance of a domestic bookmaker moving their operation oversees to a more tax-friendly jurisdiction; thus helping them to lower their margins and offer more generous prices. A full transfer to Gibraltar took place shortly after.
Reflecting the changing face of sports betting, Victor changed the company's name from his own eponymous title to BetVictor, an attempt to gain further traction in the ultra-competitive online market. Today, with annual profit in excess of £1 billion and more than 500,000 customers worldwide, you could say he has achieved that.
Already a well known name in UK bookmaking, BetVictor has reinvested some of its profits back into some of the most well-known teams/events in Great Britain, with the brand being the official betting partner of Chelsea FC and featuring in the title of the Cheltenham Gold Cup, the World Matchplay darts and Welsh Open snooker.
The good news is that the BetVictor customer support team are on hand 24/7 to help with any queries you may have. The bad news is that they are based in Gibraltar, which makes postal communication a rather tawdry affair. But not to worry: there are plenty of other ways to get in touch in an efficient manner.
- Phone - request a call back via website
- Post - Suite 23 Portland House, Glacis Road, Gibraltar
- Email - email@example.com
- Live Chat - via website
- Twitter - @BetVictor