When Fred Done and his brother Peter set up a small bookmakers shop nearly five decades ago, there's no way they would have predicted where they are today: one of the world's leading bookmakers both on the high street and online.
That's partly down to the fact that they have stuck to old-fashioned values: quality prices, extensive market coverage and great customer service, but also because of their willingness to embrace new technologies and ideas, so you can expect great coupons, 'mod cons' like Cash Out and live streaming, and an industry-leading app to download and enjoy. There's something for everyone at Betfred.
With more than £13 million in bets wagered with Betfred - and some £700m annual profit - the brand is getting bigger and better with each year. There's no better time to sign up than right now!
Betting Offers & Promotions
Bountiful bonuses and prolific promotions: that's what we love as punters. All of the various bookmakers have got their own approach to offers, and happily we're able to say that Betfred are right up there with the generosity of their promos.
The Sign-Up Bonus
Fancy bagging yourself a 300% bonus just for placing a wager with Betfred? Of course you do, and their sign-up offer is just the ticket.
All you need to do to qualify for the offer is register for a new player account, place a £10 bet on any sports market at odds of evens or greater - bit stingy that, but hey it's not very day you're afforded the opportunity to triple your money, and you'll receive £30 in free bets whether your original bet wins or loses! You'll also receive 30 free spins in the casino.
As ever, there are a few housekeeping rules attached to this bonus but nothing too untoward. Your qualifying bet must be settled within 30 days of placement, free bets are valid for seven days after delivery (and usually land in your account within 48 hours of the qualifying bet being settled). Cashed out wagers do not count under this offer.
For many punters, a decent selection of regular and ongoing promotions is the thing that sets one bookmaker apart from the rest, so this is as good a juncture as many to outline the myriad of promos and bonuses that Betfred has to offer:
- Horse Racing Cash Out - this is certainly a promotion not offered by the bulk of bookmakers out there:, but Betfred reward horse racing punters whose first couple of legs of a multiple are successful by offering them the opportunity to cash out and protect their winnings.
- Money Back 2nd - each day Betfred handpicks a selection of races for which the following promo is eligible: simply back any horse and if it finishes second behind the SP favourite your stake will be refunded.
- Best Odds Guaranteed - the third in a holy trinity of promotions for horse racing punters, you will always get the best odds courtesy of Betfred: whether that's an early price or the SP, you will be paid at the best rate!
- Acca Insurance - all accumulators of six-fold or greater will be eligible for Acca Insurance; if one leg lets you down at least you'll have the consolation of your stake refunded.
- Goals Galore Acca Insurance - place a Goals Galore coupon of three or more games and if one lets you down your stake will be refunded as a free bet.
- American Sports Acca Insurance - the same rules apply for American Sports accas: if one leg of your NFL, NHL, NBA or MLB acca fails then your stake will be returned to you.>/li>
- Double Delight & Hat-Trick Heaven - these two promotions reward you when your first goalscorer selection goes on to bag a brace or a treble. Your winnings will be doubled or tripled!
- #PickYourPunt - if you've had a bright idea for a wager then why not jump on Twitter, tweet @Betfred using the hashtag #PickYourPunt and their team might even price it up for you!
Odds & Markets
We have no qualms about praising the depth of coverage that Betfred brings to the party. Not only can we place a wager or two on sporting encounters from around the globe (Finland Division 2 was listed when we searched), but also the scale of coupons is as strong as anything out there right now. There's the Totepool, Scoop 6 and then other attractive features like Goals Galore, Double Delight and Hat-Trick Heaven, all of which are markets unique to Betfred.
Now we know what you're thinking: this is all great, but how do they stack up in terms of their prices? Well, the good news is not bad, not bad at all. As ever we took a Premier League football match at random and looked at the numbers. Betfred were joint top-price of the non-mainstream bookmakers for the home team, joint best price of all bookies for the draw and just a fraction behind for the away team. This is a neat composite of their odds overall, which suggest they are never far behind the leaders in terms of best price and next best.
We followed that up with a look at their horse racing prices: could they hang with the other big names? Well, in the race we researched Betfred were best price (wither solely or joint) for four of the ten runners; a hit rate of 40%. That is a very good performance, although a word of caution these best prices came for horses towards the tailend of the market.
Lastly, we wanted to see how Betfred fared in a big outright market, so we considered their prices for the French Open tennis some month or so prior to the tournament commencing. Of the top ten players in the running, unfortunately they were only top price for one: Milos Raonic, although a crumb of comfort is that they had priced him up at 80/1 while some of their competitors had the Canadian as short as 45/1. And on a further brighter note, they were only a fraction behind at the head of the market too.
When you tap betfred.com into your chosen device you will be greeted by an eye-popping array of graphics and text that could leave you feeling a little dizzy. Not to fear: once you click on the 'Sport' tab in the top left-hand corner of the screen, you will be back on safe ground.
Things will instantly feel familiar, with the layout similar if not identical to that of many other mainstream bookmakers. You'll find the Quick Links at the top of the screen, and these can whisk you away to the most popular bets of the day. Further down the page comes the list of sports, which are listed alphabetically albeit with football, horse racing and tennis at the top.
We've no qualms about the logic of the navigation - it really is one of the easiest sites to find your way around - although the way that markets are presented on one page requires a particularly sturdy scrolling finger. You could always use the dropdown menus to find your preferred market, although this is a bit of a faff too.
Happily, there are no such woes on the mobile site, although again you will need a thumb of iron to scroll down to the bottom of the page to the more obscure markets. But if anything Betfred's mobile site is more responsive and smart than the traditional we pages. There's even the mobile app to download, which works like a charm by the way, if you want a dedicated betting platform on your device.
The company slogan is 'you'll love a bit of Betfred', and while that is open to your interpretation you will certainly enjoy the raft of features available on the website.
- In-Play Betting - At the time of writing this review (your typical Thursday afternoon) there were more than 120 in-play markets available to be plundered, from football and tennis to basketball, cricket, volleyball and handball. At peak sporting hours, this number multiplies considerably.
- Live Streaming - A recent addition to Betfred's arsenal, punters can now live stream a whole host of action from across the globe. Some events require a minimum spend (UK and Ireland horse racing comes with a £1 minimum stake), while others are 'on the house', including greyhounds and ITF and Challenger Tour tennis.
- Cash Out - An industry standard these days, you can cash out your bets when your trigger finger starts to get a little itchy. Available on selected football, horse racing and golf markets, just hit the red 'CO' button where displayed to take your money and run.
- The Tote - Not sure if this is classed as a feature or not, but the Totepool is certainly a boon for horse racing punters. For those that don't know, the principle of the Tote is simple: you're still looking to pick out winners, but all of the money staked goes into a prize pool that is then divvied out amongst those who pick a winner.
- Scoop 6 - Simply guess the correct scores in the six headline matches to win £250,000! There are cash-based consolations for four and five scores predicted correctly as well, and all for just a £2 stake.
- Betfred Messenger - Want to place a bet but are a little too busy to get online? Can't get a 3G/4G/WiFi signal? Not to worry: thanks to Betfred, you can bet via the power of text message! All you need to do is send your Stake-Bet Type-Selection and let them do the rest.
Banking, Payouts & Limits
Betfred is a mainstream UK bookmaker and has thus embraced the idea that many punters want flexibility when it comes to depositing and withdrawing funds. As a result, you will find a multitude of payment options available to you as well as super-fast processing times.
There's nothing out of the ordinary to worry about here, and all of us - yes, all of us - have at least one of these payment methods available to us. From Visa and MasterCard debit and credit cards to PayPal, Neteller and Moneybookers, players can even make bank transfers and top up their accounts in a Betfred betting shop!
The minimum deposit amount accepted depends on the payment method specified, although a £5 minimum is in place for the credit/debit cards and e-wallet systems outlined above. Bank transfers require a minimum deposit of £85, while you can pop into your local Betfred branch and add a minimum of a £10 kitty to your account that way.
Remarkably, UK-based punters can wager as little as £0.01p a time with Betfred.
As ever, the maximum bet amount is dictated by the payout limits put in place by Betfred, which you can learn about in more detail below.
The payout limit is dictated by the sport wagered upon and its level of competition. Let's start with football, for example: a limit of £1,000,000 is in place for all of the major European leagues and international matches, £100,000 for the Scottish leagues and £50,000 for 'minor' leagues (check the T&Cs for what Betfred believes is minor). There's a £1 million limit in place for UK & Irish horse racing, £250,000 for ante-post markets and £50,000 for overseas racing, but no limits are in place for the Totepool. All golf betting is subject to a £500,000 limit and every other sport to a £100,000 ceiling.
As a multi-billion pound operation today, it is always humbling to retrace the Betfred brand to Salford in 1967, where the brothers Fred and Peter Done opened their first bookmaker's shop.
Some 50 or so years later, Betfred has more than 1,000 shops located around the UK and a thriving online presence. This comes just a decade after the company paid out early - and wrongly - on Manchester United to win the Premier League, when ultimately Arsenal would pip them to the post. Whoops, indeed.
Unlike many of its competitors, the hub of Betfred's operation has remained here in the UK - Warrington to be precise. It is clear from their website that they pride themselves on delivering a British-centric service, and their key sponsorships of the World Snooker Championship (which resulted in some epic special bets and bonuses by the way), Haydock Park and Wembley Stadium is further testament to that aim.
Betfred purchased the ever-popular Tote in 2011 for a deal worth a cool £265m, so the next time you place a wager via this method you'll know who is in charge. Through this deal Betfred founded the Tote Racing Development Board, an essential panel of esteemed industry experts.
The company has won a raft of awards in recent years as if to cement their place at the head of the UK betting industry, including Best Innovation in Social Marketing at the EGR Awards and Best Innovation in Mobile Gaming at the mGaming Awards, to name but a few.
The Betfred website is home to a stacked FAQ section that may well hold the answers to your questions. However, if it doesn't then it's reassuring to know that their customer support team is on hand around the clock to deal with any queries that you may have. To contact them, use one of the following methods:
- Phone - 0800 028 7747
- Post - The Spectrum, 56-58 Benson Road, Birchwood, WA3 7PQ
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live Chat - via website
- Twitter - @Betfred